Here’s what has been going down lately, if ya missed it:
- Women’s Easterns was the tourney to watch, and Virginia Hydra dominated on the way to the win, beating Pittsburgh Danger in the finals 15-4
- Out in Stanford, Whitman went home with the Open title and Western Washington snagged the Women’s with a win over Colorado College; Victoria falls in the Quarters, UCSD in the Semis
- USAU tweeted that they target next Wednesday, March 6th to release the first college rankings of the season and give us our first look at the possible bid picture
- Ultiworld announced that they will be selling access to full game footage from this year’s tournaments in their Video Store. Available in HD!
- In Virginia, UNC-W runs the table to win Hellfish Bonanza, while the JMU women won their home tournament
- Skyd’s Callahan Nominations are open for business! Even if you don’t think your teammate will win, it is nice sign of respect, in my opinion
- Sticking with Skyd, they just posted their full game footage of the Pres Day Finals: Arizona vs. Minnesota
This week, look for a preview of Women’s Midwest Throwdown and some more footage.
Up Calls will give you some quick hits on the news du jour
- USAU announced the location of the Club Championships this year, and it ain’t Sarasota! Looks like teams will be chasing Frisco, TX now, October 17-20th. This is a great sign, because it is hosted at the FC Dallas (MLS team) complex, which means the showcase games and finals will be in a big stadium and I expect USAU to drive traffic. And don’t think it escaped folks that there will be “nationally broadcast semifinal rounds and championship games from Memorial Stadium.”
- If you didn’t see earlier, Skyd announced they are taking over the Callahan Award. Once nomination process is complete, the Skyd Award Committee will pick the Skyd Five: 5 ladies and 5 dudes to be profiled as the frontrunners. Some drama ensued (see the comments section in the above article), but I think it’ll end up better from where we were. Nomination date was pushed back a few days from today, though.
- On the Women’s side, the weekend is highlighted by the small but competitive Women’s Easterns field and the Stanford Open on the west coast. We’ll also see some regional action at Bonanza and TTown Throwdown. More on this in the Weekend Slate.
- On the Open side, keep an eye on the Standford Open and Hellfish Bonanza, and regional matchups abound at Cat Fight, Cowbell Classic, Hendrix Ultimate Experience, and Hotlanta ’13.
- MLU announced a partnership with UltiPhotos are their official image provider.