Up Calls is back to keep you aware of what’s up in the game:
- Easterns managed to survive some crazy Sunday weather, eventually producing a champion in Minnesota Grey Duck, who beat Central Florida Dogs of War in the final, 15-13. There were a lot of close games and not a single #1 seed made Semis; Carleton didn’t even make Quarters. UNC and Colorado filled in the other Semis spots.
- Women’s College Centex also saw plenty of surprises, and in the end, Iowa State Woman Scorned reigned supreme, fighting the wind and Ohio State Fever in a 14-13 final. Minnesota and Tufts made Semis, while Wisconsin fell to 10th place after getting bounced in PreQuarters. Also of note was the strong weekend Texas Melee had been looking for all season. I think California Pie Queens might be your dance-off champions.
- At the Chicago Invite (Open), Oregon State emerged as the Open champs, over Case Western in the final, 12-10. Their pool, Pool D, placed 3 of the 4 semifinalists (Oregon St., Carnegie-Melon, and Case), while the 4th was North Texas. Eastern Michigan goes winless Saturday, Northern Iowa goes undefeated before eventually losing to Oregon State in Quarters and Missouri in the 5th place game.
- On the ladies’ side, the Chicago Invite (Women) title went to Valparaiso, who beat Purdue, 11-8, in the final. Michigan State and Illinois would both make Semis, while Kansas would struggle through a tough weekend that, according to score reporter, shows them forfeiting Sunday.
- College Terminus was rained out.
- At Southerns XII, Carleton College Eclipse beat out Princeton in a nighttime final on Saturday to win the Women’s side. James Madison topped Appalachian State in the Open final. Sunday play was moved to Saturday evening to avoid thunderstorms. Side note: My team was not informed of this change and only found out via coincidence. We were not happy to have “forfeited” all of our games after we left the fields, because our pool play ended before all the other pools (another source of annoyance). No phone call, text, email, tweet, anything. Very frustrating.
- The Skyd Awards Committee announced four of the Skyd 5 for each division. For Women: Claudia Tajima (Tufts), Bailey Zahniser (Oregon), Catherine Hui (British Columbia), and Paige Soper (Ohio State). For Open: Jimmy Mickle (Colorado), Tyler DeGirolamo (Pittsburgh), Dylan Freechild (Oregon), and Brian Hart (Wisconsin). The final Wildcard spots will be announced April 21st while the voting begins May 7th.
- Eric Brach provides a peak behind the curtain of the USAU’s World Games West Coast Tryouts.
- New York pro ultimate has their rosters set, as the AUDL’s Empire and MLU’s Rumble both released their teams. The Rumble feature Dan Heijmen, Ben Faust, Jody Avirgan, Milo Snyder, and Chris Mazur. The Empire roster includes Jack Marsh, Isaiah Bryant, and Ben Ivers.
- It was a big weekend and with Callahan talk starting and All-Region talk sure to follow, get on twitter and hit me up with the best players you saw this weekend. Hype-train is about to pull out the station!
- Best wishes to BJ from Texas Melee! A speedy return to health to her and any other victims of the injury bug this weekend.